Elena Reviews - Furthermore {Furthermore #1} By Tahereh Mafi

Title: Furthermore

{Furthermore #1}

Author: Tahereh Mafi

Publication Date: August 2016

Genres: One of its own!
Alice Alexis Queensmeadow 12 rates three things most important: Mother, who wouldn’t miss her; magic and color, which seem to elude her; and Father, who always loved her. Father disappeared from Ferenwood with only a ruler, almost three years ago. But she will have to travel through the mythical, dangerous land of Furthermore, where down can be up, paper is alive, and left can be both right and very, very wrong. Her only companion is Oliver whose own magic is based in lies and deceit. Alice must first find herself—and hold fast to the magic of love in the face of loss.

*Make sure to let me know whether you've read Furthermore or plan on reading it in the future! Don't forget to add it on your TBR lists!*



I picked up Furthermore just because I read the synopsis of Whichwood and was immensely intrigued by it. Since it hasn't come out yet - I think - and I really wanted an introduction into this new fascinating world Tahereh Mafi created, I decided to just go for it. Did I regret picking this up? No! Am I extremely glad that I listened to the inner voice inside my head and finally started reading it? Yes! I didn't have a single doubt that I would enjoy this book's writing style because Tahereh Mafi is one of the only authors who has the ability to make me feel so many things at once, just by the way she uses words and connects them to create wonderful sentences that make my heart beat like crazy. I love words and the emotions they can make me feel and this particular way of writing does so much more for me! 

I really cannot stop gushing about the beautiful writing of Furthermore. It was pure perfection and of course, it wouldn't have been what it is without the writing. It's definitely a weird story, but the characters are so easy to fall in love with and their adventures are even more fascinating to follow! The story line is the definition of authenticity and it carries a certain craziness that some people might not appreciate. So, definitely be warned before you pick this one up. It's not your usual, rational story that will make perfect sense as you read it and turn its pages. Quite the opposite actually. It's one of the most extraordinary stories out there and I personally could not get enough of it. The ending came way sooner than I expected and I was really disappointed when I reached the last chapter. 

The dialogue had me smiling like a crazy person and everybody was looking at me like I was well...crazy. I was frustrated at times and excited at others but, the big surprise came at the end when I shed a couple of tears. Yes, it's true. The ending got me a bit emotional, truth be told. I wasn't ready for this inevitable adventure to end. The descriptions made the experience of reading Furthermore even better because of how vivid they became in my mind while the plot developed. The characters' development was very impressive and as the story progressed, I fell in love with them even more. This magical and wonderful world could not have gotten any better, but it definitely did! I just could not get enough. I'm a very creative person and I felt a certain kinship with the book itself because of how it portrayed this beautiful world and the people that lived in it. There's danger and ugliness in beauty, which is something nobody should ever forget.  

I also feel like this is a book you cannot put a label on or categorize. The only thing you can do is be ready for the madness and enjoy the journey without being prejudiced or close minded. You can learn a lot from this book which isn't something you have in mind at the beginning because you kind of underestimate the effect this book can have on your mind and soul. It is a reflection of our world I dare say, in a more imaginative and chaotic way. It shows that, not everything is what is seems and beauty does not mean kindness or sympathy. 

Our main character, lovely Alice, feels like an outcast because she's different from everyone else. Her world does not understand her unique ways of dealing with reality and doesn't accept her for who she really is. She can't find solace in her family either because the only person who unconditionally loved her, her Father, is gone. Her Mother isn't much help either because she treats her horribly and doesn't treat her like she should. She finds joy in the simplest of things and even though she doesn't really have much in terms of money and magic, because in Furthermore one means the other, she enjoys every single moment with pure, unadulterated happiness. She loves life, short and simple. And she can't say no to an adventure, especially when it feels like there's nothing to lose and everything to gain. Her Father is lost in the word of Furthermore, which she believed was nothing but a myth, until our dear Oliver told her otherwise. It's his mission to bring back Alice's Father and to do so, he needs her help. 

Alice's journey is full of important, raw and poignant moments, not only because she discovers so much about herself, but also because she discovers a lot about the world and the people around her. I loved her tenacious way of dealing with things and her determination to get to her Father, no matter the cost or the Time it took. Alice's journey is a wonderful reminder of how loving yourself is very important step of becoming who you're supposed to be. She thought she was ugly because she was different, but being different just means you're quite extraordinary. She's fiercely loyal, brave and nothing will stand in the way of her and what she's set out to achieve! And here comes my favorite quote.
This book screamed Alice's Adventures in Wonderland as soon as I started reading it, which made it even better because I've always been obsessed with Alice. Pretty sure I'll end up naming my kind Alice one day. It added to its whimsical nature and fascinating plot. The only negative for me, was the ending. Not because I wasn't really satisfied with the Happily Ever After, but because it felt extremely rushed and lasted for less than ten-fifteen pages. I was really disappointed when the book ended and even more disappointed when the ending came to be so short and abrupt. Other than that, reading Furthermore was an amazing experience and I cannot wait for Whichwood. I'm so glad I decided to pick it up and cannot stop being fascinated by its originality and the magic it hides between its pages!


Comments

  1. I am excited for this myself, the writing alone makes me happy :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The writing is wonderful and really makes this book so much more special!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!